Saturday, 25 October 2014

Saturday, October 25th, 2014

    This week, we covered more proofs, however this week was the "end" of proofs for the rest of the section. I honestly do see us using proofs later regardless of us being "finished" covering them. We ended up covering disproving and allowed inferences in more detail through the middle of the week. I found all the inferences extremely helpful to me, they will end up being used by not only me, but most students in the class as an exemplary study aid. A lot of the inferences given, although common sense, will still help many students, including me, when writing proofs on tests, speeding up our thinking processes. As for disproving, I found it quite easy to grasp: simply take the proof, and negate it, then prove that to disprove. I feel I may be wrong, as looking back at my notes, the statement doesn't look like a full negation; the example we took in class being what I'm referring to (For all x in a set of X, for all y in a set of Y, P(x,y) implies Q(x,y)). I'll need to look into this more in depth come next week of class, I'll end up talking to Prof. Heap about it. The rest of the week consisted of looking at sorting algorithms that I had recently learned about in CSC108 the previous year. Insertion sort and Selection sort were two of the algorithms that were referenced in class, I'd always had difficulty determining between the two, but, this year I feel I have a better grasp on them. As for Friday, we did a sorting exercise, which I found interesting, cutting the number of pennies in half from drawer to drawer to obtain a certain number. It was insightful as an exercise, but I feel I wouldn't be able to do something like that in a test environment. For this week, I felt more comfortable with the material, and I will continue to use the strategies I have listed in previous posts to keep comfortable.  

No comments:

Post a Comment